Waxing is a time-tested method of self-beautification that has been around since the ancient Egyptians. When done properly, it can leave you with smooth, silky skin for a much longer period of time than when shaving. It also promotes softer regrowth (vs. that coarse stubble) and, over time, may help noticeably reduce the amount of regrowth you get between treatments. Waxing is great for removing unwanted hair from just about anywhere on your body: Face, arms, legs, bikini area, underarms – even on your back.
As fabulous as a great waxing job can be, there are some important guidelines to remember so you can avoid uncomfortable complications like irritation, rash, or skin lifting. We’ve compiled a list of Do’s and Don’ts to help make sure your next waxing appointment goes smoothly. Whether you’re a waxing veteran or a complete newbie, you’ll get the best results by following them.
- Schedule your appointments based on hair growth/regrowth. Hair should be ¼” for optimal results.
- Stop using retinoids one week prior to waxing. Retinoids used during or just prior to waxing can result in skin irritation.
- For optimal results, gently exfoliate your skin with a loofah sponge or mitt the day before your treatment. Removing dead, dry skin cells will improve results and lessen any irritation.
- Avoid Aspirin for 24 hours prior to your appointment.
- Make sure your skin is clean and healthy before any waxing treatment.
- Avoid hot showers or baths for 24 hours to allow your skin time to calm after waxing.
- Use gentle, unscented soap or body wash after waxing – especially if you have sensitive skin.
- Moisturize your skin daily to keep it smooth and supple. Avoid highly scented products if you have any sensitivity after waxing.
- Should you experience irritation, apply a cool compress to help soothe affected areas.
- Do not wax if you are taking Accutane or other prescription medications to control acne. If you have taken these kinds of medications, consult your doctor or dermatologist prior to waxing. In some cases, you should wait for a full 6 months after stopping use before considering a waxing treatment.
- Avoid wearing foundation and make-up when coming in for a face treatment.
- Do not apply body lotion or oil to the skin prior to waxing as it will prevent the wax from bonding with the hair.
- Do not go into the ocean, a swimming pool, hot tub, sauna, or a steam room for 24 hours after waxing.
- Do not exercise excessively or sunbathe for 24 hours after waxing.
- Do not exfoliate the skin (either manually or with exfoliation products) for at least 48 hours.
- Do not schedule a waxing appointment within 72 hours before or after a facial or body peel. Stronger chemical peels, as well as laser treatments, will require an even longer waiting time so please check with your esthetician.
- Do not wax areas that are sunburned.
Experience a Wonderful Wax in Santa Rosa or Healdsburg
At Elements Day Spas we offer our clients waxing treatments for almost every area of the face and body. Our experienced estheticians use traditional, natural methods to provide optimal and lasting hair removal with minimal discomfort. Book your next wax at either of our day spas in Santa Rosa or Healdsburg today.